VISIT Province Drenthe
Welcome to Drenthe, a province in the northeastern part of the Netherlands known for its unspoiled natural beauty, rich cultural heritage, and picturesque landscapes. Step into a world of tranquility as you explore the vast heathlands, ancient forests, and charming villages that define this enchanting province. Immerse yourself in the prehistoric wonders of the Hunebedden, ancient burial monuments dating back thousands of years. Experience the serene beauty of the Drents-Friese Wold National Park, where hiking and cycling trails meander through dense forests and rolling sand dunes. Discover the historic city of Assen, with its beautiful museums and vibrant cultural scene. Uncover the hidden gems of Drenthe, where time seems to stand still, and nature embraces you with open arms.
Important Locations and Points of Interest:
- Assen: Visit the capital city of Drenthe, explore the Drents Museum, and stroll through the charming city center.
- Hunebedden: Marvel at the ancient megalithic tombs, scattered across the landscape, which provide a glimpse into Drenthe's prehistoric past.
- Drents-Friese Wold National Park: Explore this vast natural reserve, home to diverse flora and fauna, and enjoy outdoor activities like hiking and cycling.
- Kamp Westerbork: Learn about the history of World War II at this former transit camp and gain insights into the experiences of its prisoners.
- Giethoorn: Venture just outside of Drenthe to the picturesque village of Giethoorn, known as the "Venice of the Netherlands," with its charming canals and thatched-roof houses.
- Orvelte: Step back in time in this well-preserved historic village, where traditional Dutch architecture and craftsmanship are showcased.