Welcome to the enchanting province of Henegouwen, located in the southern region of Belgium. Henegouwen is a land of picturesque landscapes, charming towns, and a rich historical heritage. From medieval castles and UNESCO World Heritage sites to vibrant cities and scenic countryside, Henegouwen offers a diverse range of experiences for every traveler. Explore the historic center of Mons, marvel at the grandeur of Pairi Daiza, and delve into the industrial heritage of the Canal du Centre. With its blend of history, culture, and natural beauty, Henegouwen promises a memorable journey through the heart of Belgium.
Important Locations and Points of Interest:
- Mons: Discover the rich history of Mons, a UNESCO World Heritage city. Visit the stunning Gothic-style Mons Belfry, explore the picturesque Grand Place, and immerse yourself in the cultural events held throughout the year.
- Pairi Daiza: Embark on an unforgettable adventure at Pairi Daiza, a world-renowned zoo and botanical garden. Encounter exotic animals, explore themed gardens, and experience the enchanting atmosphere of this unique sanctuary.
- Canal du Centre: Dive into the industrial heritage of Henegouwen as you explore the Canal du Centre. Admire the impressive boat lifts, including the UNESCO-listed Historic Hydraulic Boat Lifts, and witness the engineering marvels of the industrial era.
- Binche: Immerse yourself in the vibrant folklore and traditions of Binche, particularly known for its renowned Carnival, recognized as a Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO.
- Thuin: Wander through the medieval streets of Thuin and marvel at its remarkable hanging gardens. Climb the Belfry Tower for panoramic views of the surrounding landscape and discover the rich cultural heritage of this charming town.